Welcome Ladies and Germs!
Hello everyone! It is quite an honor that you have taken the time to read the words on this page that I wrote with my cute little brain and my average appropriately-sized hands. As the title of this blog so eloquently explains, I am a feminist. I believe in gender equality, the fall of the patriarchy, blah blah blah. And of course, my feminism is intersectional.
Let's backtrack a little bit. I've been a raging feminist since the wee age of 7 or 8. My mom was giving me picture books of the suffragettes and I was fighting with my friends for entertaining sexist tropes in movies. Not my finest moment. But I was able to take that rage against society and channel it into something productive and effective: learning. I spend a lot of free time researching social oppression, listening to diverse experiences from my peers, and advocating for marginalized groups. As a feminist, it is so incredibly important to understand the changing vocabulary and needs of other people and to never stop learning in that regard. But the rage has never disappeared and why should it? Anger is essential to motivate change. But wow, does it work well when paired with research.
WAIT!! Dear reader, you may not be a feminist. I hope you will still be able to gleam some useful information from my posts and maybe even have a little giggle or two along the way. Feel free to leave a comment if you want some more clarification on a subject you may not be familiar with or if you just want to have a healthy conversation. I ask that you approach my little blog with as open of a mind as you can afford.
Now, I understand that many of you may not have a favorite feminist. First of all, you should by now. But most importantly, that slot is open. For me. I am your new favorite feminist. "But wait," you cry. "I actually do have a favorite feminist." I'm proud of you and totally respect your choice as long as they aren't some stuffy racist (I'm looking at you Elizabeth Cady Stanton). There are many absolutely phenomenal feminists today who are actively working to uplift marginalized groups and tear down oppressive systems.
But does your current favorite feminist explore the meaning of the term "girlboss," its impact on an entire generation, and why it may be time to retire the term altogether? Do they analyze the feminist impact of beloved childhood characters that no one has thought about in years? Do they provide you with half-baked yet witty solutions to gendered issues that continue to plague our society? They probably don't and they don't have to! Others may be (and are) a much better feminist than me. But that doesn't mean that I can't be your favorite.
So welcome! Get ready to read some satirical and dead serious analysis of feminist subjects. This is my charming corner of the world wide web and you're invited to tea with the queen.

Hi! I am so intrigued by your article. I love how bold you are in your writing, it feels like I am reading about the real and honest you. I myself am a woman, and I one hundred percent believe in women's rights, but I have definitely not educated myself enough on the topic of feminism. I hope to learn a lot more from your blogs. One thing I noticed was how you mentioned that the term "girl boss" might be a term we should stop using. I personally have used this term in a way of empowering women. I hadn't gave the term much thought when using it, but I assume that it might be detrimental because putting the word "girl" in front "boss" assumes the idea that a "boss" in general doesn't apply to us women? It somewhat makes sense to me now. Why do we have to clarify that it is a girl boss. If someone said "manboss" it would sound silly because many people assume bosses are males. According to zippia.com 33.4% of bosses in the US are women and 66.6% are men. That infuriates me because I know so many capable women who probably were overlooked simply because they are a woman.
ReplyDeleteHi Kate!
ReplyDeleteI had such a fun time reading your blog. Your use of voice is incredible, I feel like I know you even though I am literally only reading words you've put down on a page. I can truly say you are my favorite feminist because unlike you, I have done very little to research and learn about feminism. I think it’s great that you found a way to channel your rage into something as positive as learning. This is why I also appreciate how you have created a general audience that may not agree with your feminist ideals. You are creating this space to learn and it ties in perfectly with how you have come upon the ideas that you have.
Hi Kate, I like your title it caught my attention and I like the tone you are setting with your blog. I'm honestly very excited to see what you have in store with your blog, I consider myself a feminist as well and always willing to learn more and more on things I either don't know about or unclear with and I feel like your posts will be able to teach me a few things. And honestly you seems like someone I would wanna be friends with, just based off your intro blog post I already can tell I'm gonna enjoy reading what you have to say about feminism and topics surrounding it.
ReplyDeleteHi Kate. I definitely did get a few laughs right out of the gate when I was reading this. "Cute little brain" definitely made me laugh pretty hard. Funny enough I decided to read your blog because I felt like there would be some things that I disagree with, and that is a good thing. I would like to see things from a different perspective and always come at everything with an open mind. Just because we may disagree does not mean that I cannot learn from others. I can tell that you are a funny person with a sense of humor, which is a great way to keep readers like myself interested. The mood that your blog takes on is great, not too serious, but still serious enough to get your message across in a concise manner. I look forward to reading more about your beliefs and I hope that I can learn something new.
ReplyDelete