Feminist Icon Spotlight: Barbie
Older feminists have a lot to say about the beauty standards that Barbie has imposed on little girls. To be fair to them, Barbie was definitely less diverse when I was growing up. She was pretty much always white and skinny and blonde. Feminists like my mom (shoutout to the woman I love most in the world) were worried that constantly bombarding impressionable children with dolls that only showcased one standard of beauty would make children who didn't look like her feel insecure. Honestly, I agree. Barbie's body type was definitely unrealistic and essentially unattainable. And for any children who aren't white, they may have felt like they would never be beautiful because the message for young women was clear: only girls who look like Barbie are beautiful.
But Barbie today has changed. There are now Barbie dolls with a variety of skin tones, body types, and hair color. Kids can walk down that toy aisle and pick out a Barbie who looks just like them. Representation is so important for kids and I'm really happy for this upcoming generation.
Now that we've addressed the feminist critiques of Barbie, let's talk about what has always been much more important than her looks. Barbie is a kick-ass career woman; let's not reduce her to just her looks. Barbie is a doctor, baker, pilot, fairy princess, dog walker, marine biologist, etc. The list goes on and on. Hell, it's only a matter of time before they release Depop-reseller Barbie or Pickup Artist Podcast Barbie. She can do anything that she puts her mind to and I think that is a fantastic lesson to teach to kids.
And don't even get me started on the movies! The BCU (Barbie Cinematic Universe) has been a game-changer for children's animation. There are 41 Barbie movies (41!). That is 41 movies with a smart and savvy female protagonist, filling the gender gap in children's animated movies. There have also been some Barbie tv shows, each also providing kids with a great female role model.
Kudos to those older feminists looking out for the wellbeing of their kids, but it’s time to start embracing Barbie. Let’s salute her for the feminist icon that she is. She’s no different from mainstream feminist icons like Michelle Obama or Ruth Bader Ginsburg. There is one difference. Barbie has done over a hundred different jobs requiring vastly differing technical skills and these ladies have done a couple in the same skill set. Let’s use some critical thinking here and reevaluate our criteria for feminist icons (sorry Michelle, love you!).

Hi Kate, I totally agree with you that we can simultaneously critique the unattainable standards that Barbie imposed on generations of girls while also recognizing that her impact and the impact of the movies and other aspects of the brand have served as a way to encourage girls to seek more. No longer is Barbie just a blond bombshell who goes shopping and to the beach. For years now, she has had careers and character growth that many people overlook. I for one am really excited for the Barbie movie coming out next year, and to this day I love the older Barbie movies I grew up with, which showcase a lot of nuanced female protagonists and female friendships, without trying so hard to reject femininity.
ReplyDeleteHello Kate!
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your blog post because it really opened up my eyes on the significant importance the toys we grow up with can have. I grew up playing with Barbie's and remember owning "Barbie of Swan Lake" on DVD and it was one of my favorite movies growing up. But i agree with your take on how Barbie has progressed within the last decade and now is a great icon for little kids. I really wish I got to experience the "new" Barbie because I would have loved to see the representation because it does truly make a difference with inclusiveness and makes us feel accepted with societal norms.
Hi Kate,
ReplyDeleteI think it is remarkable how far the Barbies dolls have come. It is great that we have more representation in the dolls. Like you have mentioned, only having a stereotypical white, skinny, blond female doll, would create insecurities in children who are not white or do not have those physical features. By having greater representation, we can attempt to bridge the gap between unequal racial representation. I actually have not seen Barbie dolls other than the stereotypical, traditional Barbie dolls, so I would want to go to a toy store and see them in person sometime.